Sunday, April 26, 2015

Supreme Court Same-Sex Hearing

I was up all night thinking about what i was going to write especially since I have a child that doesn't sleep.  I wanted to talk about my wonderful son and how he came into our lives BUT i have plenty of time to write about that.  Another topic has been bothering me over the last few days and i felt it was important to talk about. 

Last week someone told me that the Supreme Court will be hearing an adoption case this Tuesday that is pretty big.  Now I have to admit I had NO idea about any cases being heard cause who pays attention to law.  I only hear about news when someone tells me to turn on CNN or tells me to check FB.  I don't have time like a lot of moms to read the morning paper and I am pretty sure Newsday wouldn't be putting an adoption case on the front page the one day I decide to read.

It looks like there are 4 cases being heard and one of them is the major one.  They combined all of them together since they all pretty much cover the same thing.

Now i could go into detail about what the case is but that is not what I am so upset about. 

A same-sex couple in Ohio filed a lawsuit in 2013, alleging that the state discriminates against same-sex couples who have married lawfully out-of-state.  This male couple were married in Maryland legally, but the problem came when one of the partners, John Arthur, was diagnosed with ALS.  James Obergefell, John's spouse, wanted the Ohio State Registrar to recognize him on John Arthur's death certificate.

 By now your saying what does this have to do with adoption? So what happens when a same-sex couple is legally married in one state and live in another and they adopt children...HMMMMM or are we going to too far by saying the child was born in a state that doesn't recognize same-sex marriages. So complicated.  Why does it have to be complicated? 

The article I have a link to here is called the Accidental activists.  This is about 2 women who were married legally, but live in another state that doesn't recognize that marriage so when they decided to adopt their now 4 children, they had to do things differently.  One woman adopted 2 children and the other adopted 2.  The state they live in allows for singles to adopt but not same-sex.

For many in this situation there are so many obstacles that they need to figure out.  Day care and doctors that will recognize them BOTH as parents.  They have to figure out surviving death benefits.  And then custody!!  OMG!  I cant even deal knowing that if my partner died that I would have a rough time taking custody of MY child.

I am going to play devils advocate here for a second, but even if some states don't recognize these marriages shouldn't some kind of laws be put into place to provide for the children?  I know I am not a lawyer or government official, but don't you think that maybe they should have thought of the repercussions of this whole thing before making the rulings.  NOPE!!  They don't care do they.  They have a one track mind and why would love and safety of a child be important to think about.  We all know how hard it is even as a legal parent to get info from doctors or health insurance.  I would be pulling my hair out if I had to deal with this on a daily basis and NOT focusing on just loving my child.

The oral arguments to 4 different cases, all merged into one, will be held on Tuesday!  I wonder what will happen!!



Writtten By
Chemene Vizzi 

No comments:

Post a Comment