Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Our Story...Part I

I would like to adopt someday. Six words that my husband and I exchanged on one of our very first dates. Little did we know that someday we would be married and that adoption would be how we build our family? We married in 2004 and in 2006 found out that I should not be carrying a child because it wouldn’t be safe for me. Having come from a family where many of my Aunts Uncles and cousins were adopted we knew that adoption was our answer. Not knowing where to start a friend gave me the number of a friends cousin who had just adopted privately (got all that? ) (I have since become that random stranger that receives phone calls from people not knowing where to start… I love being that, I love being able to help them any way I can). So I called this random stranger and asked for her help. She was wonderful and a great source of strength and encouragement for me throughout the process. After doing some research we decided that private adoption was the best route for us. We hired an attorney, took all the necessary legal steps, installed a 1-800 phone line in our home, placed our ads in newspapers across the country and waited. There were weeks were the phone rang weeks were it didn’t ring. Days, nights, middle of the night… you never knew when and you never knew WHO was on the other end of that phone line. Some were real, some were scammers. You had to always put a smile on your face when the phone rang so your voice sounded happy! After 18 months of ups, downs and frustration, so many disappointments we decided to go to a RESOLVE meeting. I was nervous, anxious & depressed. Going was the best thing we could have ever done. It was so nice to be with people who truly understood what we were feeling and going through. Family and friends try to help but can’t truly understand.
So that first meeting was in early February…a mere 2 months later. April 14, 2008 we got the phone call that would change our lives forever. Our sons birthmother had seen our ad in a small paper in Pennsylvania (this happened to be a month were we spent the least amount of money on advertising) She was pregnant with her 6 the child and couldn’t provide for him the way she wanted to. She was not in a good place in her life at the time. She happened to be due on one of my best friend’s birthday and also shared her last name. Since we had so many disappointments in the past we decided not to tell anyone except my sister.
We talked for weeks and weeks and then on May 27, 2008 my husband and I were hosting a RESOLVE meeting at our home when the phone rang. It was her husband calling to tell us that B was admitted to the hospital and that we should get to Pennsylvania. The irony that we should get this phone call during a RESOLVE meeting!
A few of our new friends stayed and helped us pack. We received a few phone calls throughout the night telling us to old off leaving they weren’t sure when the baby was coming. Finally early next morning we got the call that we should get there soon. The ride to PA was quiet and stressful, not knowing what to expect. We arrived at the hospital, parked the car, walked to elevator, the doors closed and I broke down. So nervous, not knowing what was going to happen. We were about to walk into the next chapter of our life. How would this story end? As we approached the maternity floor of the hospital I composed myself. The doors opened, my husband asked where B’s room was and we started to walk over, we were about to meet the woman that was going to make us a family. We opened the door and were greeted with a smile. After talking for a few minutes B said she would call the nurse. Soon thereafter the door opened and a tiny little crib was wheeled in with a 5pd 8oz little munchkin. The nurse told me to sit down. She placed him in my arms and we all looked at each other and cried. He was ours instantly. There was no question that he was meant to be our son.

Written By
Christine






No comments:

Post a Comment