Saturday, June 6, 2015

My Foster Journey...

I finally got an exciting phone call this afternoon from the foster care agency. I was asked to spell my name just to make sure they are filling out the adoption forms correctly. I couldn't believe it. After so many years of waiting... It's happening. My little girl will officially be mine. She will have the permanency that we all need badly.

Her biological father had appealed the decision to terminate his parental rights. Last week, we learned that he won said appeal. I was devastated. I thought the agency was going to start planning with him, and take my daughter away. I've witnessed that growing up firsthand with my first foster brother. He was with us from birth until 7. The adoption paperwork was done. A week before the adoption was finalized, his mother- who never had contact- finally showed up. The court reunited him with his mother 3 months later. There was No F'ing Way that I was going to let that happen with my daughter!!!

I went into Rottweiler-Mommy-Mode (being a foster parent, you often have to) and started calling everybody. There wasn't a law guardian, or social worker who's brain I didn't pick. A few days later I get the most exciting news. We are overriding the decision of the appeal, and moving forward with the adoption. Apparently, we just needed a decision to secure all the loose ends... But the actual decision didn't matter. It just held up the process for 2 years. I was elated.

My daughter has been losing her patience. She tells everyone and anyone that she can't wait to finally be adopted. I know it's very tough for her, knowing that her little brother was adopted before her. Especially because they were supposed to be adopted the same day. She has become obsessed with it. I feel so badly when I hear her talking to her friends about it. I reassure her that it's going to happen, but in the meantime... We'll still live our lives and enjoy life together. I don't think she's buying it.

I decided that I will keep the adoption day to myself. She's waited so long, that I will surprise her. I will invite friends and family to meet us at court on her big day. I plan to pamper her and dress her up. I am giving her a piece of jewelry and asking her if she would take me as her mommy. I can't wait to see the look on her face...

Written By Ketsy
Foster Mom
Group Member



JOIN US AT OUR NEXT SUPPORT GROUP MEETING!  Check out our site for info!

TWITTER: @li_support

No comments:

Post a Comment