Thursday, October 8, 2015

Forever Friends Through Adoption

I feel so lucky!

Being part of our adoption group, my boys, adopted boys, get to grow up with other children that are also adopted. As their friends, some their best friends and their "family", some of them they've known since birth. They, without thinking, have conversations about their birthmothers, their siblings, visits and adoption in general. They will never feel like they are "the only one". For this I feel we are lucky.

With that being said, this past weekend we had a spontaneous kids get together with our original 3 families that adopted within our post group. The three oldest boys (one from each family) are "best buds". We took them and our younger kids to the movies to see Hotel Transylvania 2.  (I'll let you know my thoughts on the movie a little further down). But in the meantime my favorite part was listening to the three boys, who are sitting next to each other, laughing so hard and talking about the movie as it was going on. It was such a beautiful sound! Once again, so lucky!

Now for a quick movie review. If you have seen the first Hotel Transylvania, the humor was very similar, lots of silly adult humor that the kids don't necessarily get, but is used to keep the adults interested. But lots of humor for the kids to get as well, potty humor, not my favorite for my six-year-old but nonetheless still cute. He's still throwing out "grandma's boobies" since we've seen it. I guess not the worst thing in the world.

Spoiler alert!!  The theme and the moral is about transracial marriage and acceptance. I was thrilled for this message since my family is a transracial family, my one son is biracial and the other son is black and my husband and I are both Caucasian. It has a really great message and I used it as a teachable moment for my oldest guy when we got home.

I would recommend the movie. Even my almost 3 year old liked it!


Check out the trailer here!




Written by Josette
Co-leader
Adoptive mom
Teacher

Join us at our next meeting!  Check out our website for details!
www.LIadoptionsupport.com



No comments:

Post a Comment